You’re engaged! Now what? You might already have a to-do list that’s miles long, or a complete blank slate: Where to even begin? Keep reading — we have your ultimate month-to-month checklist right here so you know what to do, when to do it, and how to keep your planning on track. Ready to get started?
12+ Months Out
- Set wedding budget. (Check out our list of money-saving tips!)
- Draft guest list.
- Secure venue for ceremony and reception. (Here are 10 questions to ask potential venues before booking.)
- Hire wedding planner.
- Assemble wedding party.
8-10 Months Out
- Shop for and order wedding gown.
- Book important wedding vendors (caterer, photographer, DJ or band, florist, baker).
- Reserve hotel block for out-of-town guests.
- Contact rental companies if necessary for things like linens, tents and tables.
- Register for gifts.
6-8 Months Out
- Book musicians for ceremony.
- Choose wedding party attire.
- Begin honeymoon planning.
- Select and order wedding stationery.
- Send save-the-dates.
4-6 Months Out
- Order wedding cake.
- Book and plan rehearsal.
- Figure out and book day-of transportation.
- Shop for wedding rings.
2-3 Months Out
- Send invitations.
- Book hair and makeup artist and begin trials.
- Plan ceremony service.
- Order gifts for wedding party and parents.
- Choose wedding favors.
1 Month Out
- Apply for marriage license.
- Book final gown fitting.
- Create and print wedding program.
- Plan hotel bags for guests (see here for our ideas!).
- Organize reception seating chart.
- Finalize ceremony details (like the order of processional/recessional, readers, and song list).
- Confirm reception details and timeline. (Tip: It’s smart to work with a planner at your chosen venue to help you nail this down; be sure to send this timeline to all vendors.)
2 Weeks Out
- Send list of preferred songs to your band or DJ. (See our no-fail reception music checklist here!)
- Confirm shot list with your photographer.
- Begin breaking in your wedding shoes. (Trust us on this.)
- Assemble wedding favors.
- Get haircut and/or color.
The Week Of
- Arrange tip envelopes for vendors and designate a point person for these.
- Indulge in some pampering (manicure, pedicure, massage).
- Finalize payments with vendors and write checks if needed.
- Check in with all vendors.
- Rehearse ceremony and bring any accessories/decor to site.
The Day Of
- Relax, remember to eat and hydrate … and enjoy every last moment.